Rob McMillan covers information and IT security topics such as strategic planning, security policy and governance, security incident response, risk management, and security metrics. He brings firsthand experience with nine years in the financial services industry at the executive level within one of the largest banks in the world. Prior to this, Mr. McMillan spent 12 years within the university sector, including nine years with specialist security incident response teams.
Mr. McMillan joined Gartner after almost nine years in information security at the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, where he was Executive Manager of Business Information Security Support. In this position, he was responsible for developing and implementing security policies and standards, operating the bank’s threat intelligence capability, implementing the security awareness program, rolling out security infrastructure technologies, and a range of other issues. During this time, he was also a key participant in broader industry initiatives. Prior to this, Mr. McMillan was co-founder and general manager of AusCERT, responsible for the strategic direction and overall operational management of its core business. He had also spent four years with CERT in the U.S.
- Carnegie Mellon University (SEI/CERT), Member of Technical Staff, 4 years
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Executive Manager, Business Information Security Support, 9 years
- University of Queensland (AusCERT), General Manager, 3 years
- Associate Diploma in Applied Science, Applied Chemistry, Queensland University of Technology
- B.AS., Computing, Queensland University of Technology
- C.B.A. Executive Education Program, MIT Sloan
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (ITIL)